SP-540v - light overspray, followed by mis-printing horizontal & bi-directional head test boxes

I noticed a little bit of overspray around certain areas.  a few ink drops here and there on white areas of prints.

A basic visual print-head check looks good. As well as a standard line test print.  Black is misfiring a little but may be a bit due to the recent cleaning.

I've cleaned the encoding strip with a dry foam swab (front/back).

I went a while over the holidays without printing much, so have done a manual clean, checked to make sure no lint or fuzz on printheads or caps.  All looks good. I've had to use a space heater in this bedroom to keep the environment warm. I am wondering if I've created too much dry static air?

In service mode I did a horizontal and bi-directional test and have noted that from the last time I did this, my values or the heads have moved.  I've had no head strikes or reason to see why they'd be out, but perhaps this is something that happens over time?

Bias and Vertical tests appear to be good.

My main concern is that some of these boxes are not printing the lines vertically.  I've done these tests before and this is the first I've seen this happen. It's making it pretty well impossible to view and align. Almost as if they're twisted - It's a bit hard to make out from the photos, but they're kind of either bent inward or outward, or the middle line I'm meant to align is on an angle. 

A bit exagerated, but similar to this.

\_/_/

/_/_\ 

Whereas I'd like to be seeing |_|_|

Done plenty of searching, but have found nothing about "twisted lines" in test prints.

Thoughts?

Views: 65

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

More photos

Image 183003.jpg, near the top, is probably what's showing the issue the best.

Attachments:

Pictures can always misrepresent what is actually there.

So check humidity - static is a possibility and the machine will let you know when it is too cold to print.

Check your bias, it looks off which can give you what you see and vertical and horizontal.

Do your bi default in service

Then do it in user mode.

Your nozzle test shows that you should have clear prints

better to see a VW test print with expected results

"better to see a VW test print with expected results"
Please elaborate on what you mean by this. 

Some interesting developments here:

I removed my media and basically wiped everywhere with a bounce sheet. I'm not positive that static was the issue at the moment based on the below findings.
I'll double-check the bi-directional settings in both service mode and regular. Out of curiosity, once it is done in service mode, what is the reason for following in regular?

My design essentially consisted of black, grey and a blue/green color. 

I had initially had the black as CMYK 0,0,0,100, Green as a Pantone, and Grey as a CMYK.

I typically prefer to use 50,50,50,100 for black, but was getting even muddier overspray. 
I do realize many on here swear to use RGB color only, but I am mostly familiar with CMYK and prior to this wasn't having much issue. So yes, the overspray is still an issue if I'm trying CMYK combinations.

Even though the black should have just been firing at 100 on the K channel, I have reason to believe the Versaworks RIP still converted it to some sort of multi-CMYK, hence some of the overspray.

Fast forward  Black was done with Roland BK21A, Green as Pantone, Grey as CMYK.
It looks great and the black is crisp.  Pretty odd since BK21A in Corel Draw shows as 0,0,0,100.

I even did a sample with three tones of black, 0,0,0,100, Roland Black, and RGB black. The only one that came out crisp was the Roland Spot colour once again.

In Versaworks this whole time I've had Spot colors set to convert in the second tab.
Anyhow that change with the black made every thing crisp.

A few photos to explain the write-up above

Attachments:

It looks like your bidirectional is off. The slant or bias is very slightly off, but doesnt look off enough to cause your issue.

Like Irv said, do the bidirectionals in service mode, then in user mode. Dont do the simple, do the detailed. The reason is, they are linked together. If you change service mode, then all your user mode ones will be off. Use a good loop, dont just eyeball it.

BK21 looks best because its black only and not a mix.

Make sure youre printing on low head height for vinyl decal material. Your issue could just be from printing on high head height.

"Like Irv said, do the bidirectionals in service mode, then in user mode. Dont do the simple, do the detailed. The reason is, they are linked together. If you change service mode, then all your user mode ones will be off. Use a good loop, dont just eyeball it."

Is this the case for print/cut adjustment as well?  I would have assumed that service mode overrode and reset any of these settings, otherwise you are doing every thing twice.  Seems odd.

To clarify, I have been doing the bi-directional in service mode.  

Have a look at 20180107_183003.jpg 20180107_183003.jpg above. 

It's a bit tough to see, but I need to resolve the reason for the skewed orange and blue lines.  
They should appear more vertical like the 2nd row down. I realize that I am to adjust my panel to the values I see best aligning, but they're pretty skewed and at times I can jump over 3-4 boxes and the alignment is enough that I'm not positive on which area to look at. 

If you look specifically at Row 1:
-1, 0, +1, you will see that the bars are not vertical but randomly on skewed angles. 
This makes it very difficult to view alignment.  In past months it was never like this. 

To add:
Printing and samples are done with the low head height. 

Thanks again gents for your help. 
Means a lot :)

I just did another bi-directional test from service mode this morning and it seems I've had to shift every thing back closer to the original values I had from before this issue happened.

The lines/boxes all seem much more square as well...

Now doing the bi-drectional test in regular menu.

It seems the settings were way off

No1 & No2 were at +10 and I should have had them more around 0.

Same with 3 and 4.
So I guess the service menu sets the baseline back to 0, and the regular menu let's you fine tune this?
Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Is this also the case with the print-cut adjustment?  Set it in service menu and fine tune in regular menu if required? I much prefer to use the three square method for correction in the service menu, as it gives me more precise results than the single vertical and horizontal cut test.

Sorry for the re-write of some of the same questions over, but I'm thinking out loud here, and hopefully this helps some other folks down the road as well.

RSS

© 2018   Created by Steven Jackson - Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service