I bought a second-hand BN 20, with a metallic cartridge installed. It never crossed my mind that a white one could not be put in. As I really only want to print white to make colours more opaque on clear vinyl.

after some research it said it could not be done, but I had already bought the white cartridge, ran out of silver, whacked in my White cartridge, everything fine for a bit.

I tell the machine it is still printing silver, it had been quite happy doing this, but now it is found that it has a white cartridge in it. It is not a happy bunny keeps on beeping. I am not really bothered about if there are silver flecks in the white etc etc as it is only to be used as a background colour.

Any suggestions on how to stop the machine beeping :-)

Rob

Views: 1383

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mike to answer your question I went from Magenta to Silver. I did the Users headwash, after the procedure you are allowed to choose ink. I could not switch the metallic in that mode. I might have gave up too soon. I was able to easily choose metallic after the headwash on the service mode. You need to ensure you get dummy cartridges for whichever machine. The real issue is that you need to ensure you have the correct mode registered to ensure you get the ink you need when you get it. It is not an easy just take one out and put another in. See if you can get a nozzle test from both machines and I might beable to tell you if there are some other issues. The BN 20 is extremely slow, but has come a long way since they brought it out. I do often print in draft mode and that cuts the time in half with great prints - was not always that way. If I need standard mode, I usually let it run overnight. As a caution, to get in service mode you need to go through roland - so if you have someone saying they swap back and forth then get that secret. If they say just take one out an put other in - slowly back up and run.

I went ahead with my purchase over a year ago on a Magenta BN-20. I wish I had metallic, ad I primarily print small stickers that use a lot of gray and silver tones - metallic would really add to it. But this machine was in great shape, well maintained and properly operated by the former owner, and I was willing to give up a metallic option for a machine that was in great shape. I only wish I could find a nice metallic machine now :-)

I would just recommend you see the results of a metallic print to see if that is the look you are trying to achieve.

It dosen't look metallic at all, more grainy than anything. Maybe I'm setting up the file wrong. I've read that there are different ways to putting the metallic down...I'm not willing to use up all my material just to do tests, when it's possibly printing correctly, I am just not impressed with it.

Karen I agree with all except not willing to use up material. With these machines and I have been around them for years and a certified tech with them - I still use a lot of material testing to get the right recipe that works. Sometimes not in all regions and since now I am more regional now than when I was national - my stuff will work most times for folks in my region. Most times when I answer questions here, I have to see where the person is located due to certain regions have more common issues. I get smooth great silvers - not too impressed with the other colors, especially the darker metallics. Most look good from an angle and I most never use blended.

Hey Karen,

I think half the battle of printing is using up material to find the perfect recipe...as irving said. I love the metallic look and it definitely shows a difference, you may not be setting up right. I do want to switch to white as a lot of my customers are requesting white prints on clear now :/

So far I have found 3 distinct ways to print the metallic:

1. Just straight up with the spot color, no other color artwork or imagery in front or behind it. This gives you the most pure metallic color that you'd like to print.

2. Placing a metallic color in front of parts of an image. If it is not put in as a gradient, you will see the cut-off of where the metallic starts and ends (not a problem for most actually), but will show a metallic color above your imagery, this is my least favorite view.

3. My favorite: Putting the metallic color behind the imagery that you will be wanting to be a bit more "shiny". Let's say you have a halo around an angel that you want to be shiny. That halo's original color is a goldish color, which could have some specks of gold leaf in the drawing, so in this mode, you'd be able to see the metallic, and the gold leaf specs. In the actual setup, you will not see the spot color, since it is behind the drawing, but I found this method to work. I haven't tried the MT -> CMYK method before just because it almost doubles the print time, but this works for me when I want to show a metallic, but keep the complexity of the drawing in site. Check out the differences in the image attached. I don't have #2 shown because i don't have one printed, but its not worth printing anyway.

Thanks for sharing.

RSS

© 2018   Created by Steven Jackson - Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service