Hi guys, I really need help figuring out whats happening. My black ink is completely gone, however it does come back a bit after doing a ink renewal, then after a few cleaning cycle its gone again. See the PDF attached with many pictures.

Here’s more details about the printer and what happened lately to give you some context details in case it may help. I moved the printer with the help of a tech to my home office last January. We also changed both wipers as well and we then ran a quick print test and here is what happened after

1)       We ran a quick print test before the tech left and everything seemed ok.

2)       I have not used the printer for about a week, then probably due to the regular cleaning cycles, my white ran out. I bought a new cartridge a few weeks before since I knew I was running low (It’s the ecosol max 2) I had the ecosol max 1 before in the printer. I was following the instructions from Roland (http://www.rolanddg.eu/en/roland-world/blog/upgrade-white-ink-eco-s...) It’s fairly simple. I was already running the latest firmware, so I just put the new cart in and did a ink renewal as they mention.

3)       After the ink renewal, my black was no longer printing (almost all gone) see page 13 of attachment. I assume it may have been because of our print test was using the ink that was already in the lines and the ink renewal flushed it or something.

4)       After running cleaning cycle, then the black is 100% gone. (see page 13)

5)       I inspected the cartridge (running pro color ink) and noticed that there was a bit of a mess in there (page 12). An aluminum label (page 14) made its way between the printer needle and cartridge and some ink leaked in there. I cleaned it up and also use a swab with solvent cleaner just to put on the needle in case it was clogged or something. Then I put on a brand new cartridge as well (Pro color black).

6)       The issue was still there, running cleaning cycle or anything didn’t help.

7)       However if I do a ink renewal again, the black partially come back. Then after a few cleaning its gone again.

The tech that came here (from a few hours away, since theres no local tech here) said the ink gets to the damper and the captop was fine. However he couldn’t explain why the black comes back a bit after doing an ink renewal. He used syringes to make sure there was no air bubbles in the line, he also cleaned the captop to ensure that was not the problem. They were going to change the needle from the cartridge end, but they didn’t bring the part with them.

My theory is that the ink pressure must be higher when an ink renewal is done which forces the black ink to get to the head. However when doing regular print or cleanup it doesn’t do anything. If the black comes back a bit after doing an ink renewal, it most likely mean that the nozzles are not completely clogged. My print tests now look like what you see on page 11 from the document. The silver always had some issues, I never use it or very rarely so that never been an issue.

Maybe the needle is partially clogged or possibly the dampers could be the problem. I noticed with the pro color ink that I get ink build up / thick smudge in the waste bottle from time to time. At some point I also had a string of ink seized (hardened) hanging from the wiper.

I am not sure if the ink could have been the issue here. I was recommended to switch back to Roland ink. I still have a few carts of Pro color to go through and I already bought a Roland set. Eventually I am also looking to switch to double cmyk, it seems like the white and silver is nothing but trouble.

The diagnostic from the tech is to change the head and dampers. Estimate comes almost to 5K in total.

I was wondering if you guys had any other idea of what could be the issue here. I had a few jobs to do and I was trying to print black without using actual black (only with the colors) and wasn't unable to do it. Is this possible?

Views: 231

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ha ha ha ha ha

NO

Thanks for your help Steven, I was in touch with Stahls Canada. Unfortunately it was quite expensive since they are based in Toronto and the travel fees were around $500 alone to come to Ottawa.

I managed to find a Roland certified technician from Montreal, he was able to convert my ink configuration to double CMYK so no more white/metallic, he installed a brand new head, dampers, cap top, wipers. Did a full maintenance and adjustment and the printer runs like new now :) I also run original Roland Ecosol max ink (no more aftermarket ink)... I suspect the metallic and the cheap ink were most likely the cause of my issues.

Even tho I was able to save a bit on the service work and got a good deal on the head, it ended up costing me a lot. At least I know everything is top notch now and I wont make the mistake of using cheap ink again. The speed of the double CMYK is quite impressive, very happy about the swap.

See my new test print attached.

Attachments:

Very glad it got fixed for you! Win for all :)

RSS

© 2018   Created by Steven Jackson - Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service